Monday, December 17, 2012

Something a little different

A week ago I was trying to think what I could do differently for the last St. Louis Rams home game of the season. Do I attempt a remote somewhere, do I spend the game using just a certain lens, what can I do a little out of the norm? I decided to use a Nikon V2 mirrorless camera with a 10mm f2.8 lens, which on this camera is equivalent to a 27mm lens in 35mm format. I also decided to shoot entirely in black and white mode. Now the thing about this self imposed project is that I still have to do my job, shooting pre-game images for the Rams Marketing department, Group Sales, Media Relations, and shoot and transmit action for a wire service. I spent a little more time shooting the players during their pre-game warm up, so I could get a feel for what I was looking for. I was able to capture my normal assortment of images documenting the game and then transmitting 40 images afterwards. Later in the evening I started reviewing my black and white images to create a small gallery of my favorites. It was while I was editing the images that I decided to use the post-processing software Silver Efex Pro2, this allowed me to add more clarity and contrast and give the photos more impact. Although I ended up with some images I liked, I really didn't end up with one amazing shot that really stuck out. I was just pleased with the fact that I could do my job, but still come away with a different gallery of photos from the game. Here is a link to the gallery: http://scottrovak.zenfolio.com/ramsb_w







2 comments:

Gerry Mandel said...

I love that b/w sculptured look, Scott. While I'm a big fan of the great action photos in SI... always some incredible caught-in-the-moment shots... it's great to see someone strive for - and achieve - something different and dramatic. Keep working on it. You have a future in b/w photography.

Anonymous said...

Very edgy, Scott! I love the prospective on these shots!